I keep company with wolves
They're predictable
But you
You crept up on me
I find you in the familiar places
an ache
a song
the last sip
You left me in the wake
Of a love begun
That will never be
I wander around
Looking for places
To sing my love
And imagine you watching
I wouldn't keep your shirt
because I wanted to see you in it again.
You could heal more
With one look
Than any prayer
I've whispered in darkness
This will fade as all things do.
When we run out of remembering us.
A broken heart
Is that strange gift
That affords you
Time to love yourself
You sold me on you
I won't accept any substitutions
For a perfect fit
I never asked for perfection
I asked for presence
But you're not living anyway
Sharing soup
I kissed your cheek
You, the top of my head
Getting warm
Now when I sing
I mean every word
All blue notes of
Perfect longing
I will love you in the waiting.
Where I have forgotten not to hope.
Some things don't fade
Your eyes focused
Trying to slow time
One kiss more
I wake each morning
and will the universe
to bring you back to me
My heart has conquered more
Than the distance between
Where we lay our heads
I want to believe in a place
where love trumps money
and overcomes circumstance.
You have ruined me
For all other loves
But the damage is so sweet
You counted my freckles
With your lips
Investing in my skin
With each kiss
I could spend eternity
Planning the impossible
Fantasizing the hypothetical
Savoring denial with you
You were but a moment
I will carry for the rest of my days
Mother love crosses heavens
Overcomes death
And sneaks into my being
In beautiful ways
A thousand miles away
Yet still more present
Than any previous love I've had
My mind raced miles down the road with you.
Now I can't walk back.
I'll kiss other lips
And so will you
But it's just motion to me
I'm running out of small talk
And sly ways to say
Please come home
You're becoming a story
Of once and when
Of then and always
Fleeting fiction
I choose to dwell in an alternate universe
In which my skin remembers yours
You are the smile and the ache
I will carry until all stars fade
Your dreams echo my hopes
Revealing the paths I've laid
Leading you to me
I'll race you to good morning
And linger 'til goodnight
Holding onto your words
The best plans I've made
Began with you and me
And ended with us
You left and we both knew
nothing short of us
would satisfy our souls
I'll write you into every line
Sing you into every note
Conjuring you here
He buys me records
Then holds them hostage
So that I'll visit and dance
There's no angst
in this distance
Just the excitement
of laying eyes on you
I couldn't quit you
Because I created you
We wrote each other
in dreams
Don't come knocking, Darlin'.
You know he's already fixed
everything you broke in me.
I'll erase memories just so
There's more space
To make some with you, love
You are the muttering-
the mantra between breaths
that says,
"Come home to me."
One thought of you erases
ten bad memories
of those that came
before you.
Everything I thought was finished
Is suddenly new with you
Beginning this life again
No comments:
Post a Comment