A year later
A little worn
We stitched together wounds
With promises of love
I realized
I stay up late
Just waiting
Because I still believe
In miracles
I step toward myself
More each day
And the universe smiles
Clearing a path
I hold hope
In the memory
Of those moments
When we are a family
We both work two jobs
Then meet on weekends
To dream about the future
Someday is the word
That sums up us
And everything we hope to be
Your voice at the end of the day
Walks me through fields, over mountains
I sing to universes
Of only your name
Calling you forth
To my love
In those moments I feel stuck
My mother's ghost whispers, "Do what you wish."
He comes on weekends
To pick up the pieces
Of this tired, scattered woman
She's working toward
Turning back time
To when she could
Do more than survive
She watched her mother die
Then had no patience
For those who wouldn't live
Like magic
How different her life is
When he's there
To do the dishes
I miss you instantly
Because your absence
Is the difference between
Fire and ice
She yearns for the mundane
The turn of his key
In their front door
The constant feeling
That time is slipping away
With every outgrown pair of pants
We've spent more nights
Saying goodnight
Over the phone
Than in person
Waiting hurts
I hope he knows that
More than anything
I wanted to be his mom
I'm waiting for him
To close all doors
Behind him
And knock on mine
You fill holes
in my son's life
where another man
should be.
Thank you.
Sometimes love is nothing more
Than validating each other's exhaustion
With kindness and gratitude
Let's pretend
That you and I
Came before she and him
Let's start over
We were so smitten
Our first and second dates
Happened in the same day
We are a package deal
That you treat as if
Were made for you
After all our questions
I'm glad we arrived
At the same answer:
Only you.
Remember all the magic
It took to get us here.
We manifested our dreams.
I want to be reborn
with your name on my tongue
calling you home
Lost people don't look for
nods from the Universe.
Be the one with binoculars.
My love
You are healing things
I didn't know hurt
By simply being present
To me,
really living means
eating dinner with
my eight year old
without rushing.
I just want to be alone with you
without our ghosts
or bleeding wounds
She burns the candle
At both ends
Because of promises made
And never kept
More than words
And gestures
And kisses
And gifts
Love me with absolute certainty
I hope you know
How much it costs
To believe you
And keep waiting
Sometimes I need more
Than Friday
Than someday
Than soon
Stand in my shoes
Come, love.
The taste of you
is nothing short
of everything I'm thirsty for.
The distance has lessened
But I still cry between visits
Time is never kind
Dishes. laundry, listening to Wolf Larsen, gathering my courage, planning my course, always singing.
Blue notes
Kiss my neck
Better than even your lips
My voice sustains me
No comments:
Post a Comment